Thursday 20 August 2009

...and on to Italy

Well, I have finished with Monaco.
I have to say, I won't miss the place - all seemed a bit phony and lightweight; and I must admit my guide - Robert Westgate - was not the most sympathetic of characters. Still, provided light relief after Portugal!

Am now in Italy, in the company of Umberto Eco's latest protagonist: a Milanese antiquarian bookseller who has suffered an obscure medical condition resulting in a coma - having come out of this he has lost all personal memories except the books that he has read over his lifetime. He therefore sets about trying to reconstruct his life through his literary memories.

I have to say, I am only a few pages in but am really enjoying this book - I find this a really fascinating premise and, coupled with one of my favourite authors, I am really looking forward to my Italian trip!

A sad rumour is that Eco has stated this will be his last ever novel! A shame, as I rate 'The Name of the Rose' and 'Foucault's Pendulem' as among my favourite novels... still , I am pleased that this work has come along at just the right time to represent Italy in my travels...!

No comments:

Post a Comment